This is a review of The Arden (雅诗轩), a 99-year leasehold condo at Phoenix Road in Singapore's District 23. Comprising 3 blocks totalling 105 units of 2- to 4-bedrooms, this boutique development by Qingjian Realty Pte Ltd is expected to be launched in the 2nd half of 2022. The TOP is estimated to be in 2025.
The 63,000 sqft of land was acquired through a collective sale of 24 apartments and 12 commercial shops in July 2009. It paid $42.6 million, which works out to an estimated land rate of $630 per sq ft per plot ratio (psf ppr) after factoring the estimated differential premium payable. Hence, it is likely to be launched around $1,5xx psf on average.
It is situated between the Phoenix and Teck Whye LRT stations which are about 3-4 minutes walk away. The LRT line is linked to the Bukit Panjang MRT station along the Downtown Line (DT1), providing direct access to many sought-after schools along the Bukit Timah belt and Downtown Singapore.
The Arden condo is also close to several shopping malls, which include Junction 10, Hillion Mall, Bukit Panjang Plaza, Teck Why and Fajar Shopping Centres.
This property review seeks to provide an unbiased evaluation of the following to help you make an informed decision on whether this is the right property to invest in:
- Receive the latest updates about the development
- Visit the show flat to understand more about the development
- Gain a deeper insight into its investment potential and get an update on Singapore’s property market
To learn more about The Arden condo, please click on the links in the Table of Contents below.
- Why Invest in The Arden?
- Who is the Developer of The Arden Condo?
- What is the Price of the Arden?
- Where is The Arden Condo Located?
- The Arden Unit Mix
- The Arden Condo Fact Sheet
- Shopping, Dining & Entertainment Nearby
- An Excellent Public Transport Network
- Schools and Educational Institutions Near The Arden
- Nature Parks Near The Arden
- URA Master Plan for Bukit Panjang
- Review Conclusion – An Investment Perspective
- Other New Launch Reviews
Why Invest in The Arden?
- The Arden condo is situated in a predominantly private residential enclave of mostly landed housing, providing a serene living environment.
- Situated on elevated grounds, providing more privacy and exclusivity.
- A good mix of 2- to 4-bedrooms, with a flexible layout for the bigger units (cospace feature).
- Limited private housing in the area provides promising investment potential.
- Conveniently located near several shopping malls, providing access to a wide range of amenities, eateries and leisure pursuits.
- Close to nature parks such as Zhenghua Nature Reserve, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve, Rail Corridor and Chestnut Nature Park.
- Excellent transport connectivity - two LRT stations within a short walking distance are directly linked to the Bukit Panjang Integrated Transport Hub consisting of an MRT station and bus interchange.
- Bukit Panjang MRT station, along the Downtown Line, provides direct access to popular schools along the Bukit Timah belt, city and Central Business District (CBD).
- Easy access to the Kranji (KJE) and Bukit Timah (BKE) Expressways.
- Wide choices of primary and secondary schools, as well as post-secondary education institutions.
- URA Master Plan for Bukit Panjang to enhance living standards while bringing more jobs closer to homes.
Who is the Developer of The Arden Condo?
The developer for The Arden is Qingjian Realty. Since venturing into Singapore in 1999, it has made a name for itself as an innovative developer. From its first development — the Natura Loft in Bishan, an HDB Design, Build and Sell Scheme project — it has gone on to build a string of executive condominiums (ECs) and private condo developments.
Some of its projects include the Le Quest, The Visionaire, iNZ Residences and Nin Residence. Two of its most recent are Forett At Bukit Timah and Jadescape.
Qingjian has also won many industry awards such as Smart Estate Management System, Smart Living, 1st Smart Home and more. And in the Asia Property Awards 2020, it won multiple awards for one of its projects - Forett at Bukit Timah:
- Best Private Condo Landscape Architectural Design (Singapore).
- Best Low Rise Condo Landscape Architectural Design (Asia).
- Best Private Condo Development (Singapore).
What is the Price of the Arden?
During its sales launch over the weekend of 12-13 August 2023, the developer sold 27 out of 105 residential units (25.7%) at an average price of $1,750 psf. This makes it the most affordable new launch in recent times as prices in the outside central region (OCR) have averaged around $2,057 to $2,121 psf this year.
Meanwhile, during the launch of The Myst and Lentor Hills Residences on 9 July 2023, they achieved an average selling price of $2,057 psf and $2,081 psf respectively. And during the launch of Lakegarden Residences on 6 August 2023, it achieved an average selling price of $2,120 psf.
Meanwhile, the following are Arden's indicative launch prices.
- 2-Bedroom Classic: $1.148m ($1,747 psf).
- 2️-Bedroom Deluxe $1.323m ($1,835 psf).
- 3️-Bedroom Classic: $1.688m ($1,668 psf).
- 3-Bedroom + Study: $1.858m ($1,675 psf).
- 4-Bedroom Classic $2.108m ($1,748 psf).
- 4-Bedroom + Study: $2.388m ($1,719 psf).
Qingjian Realty bought the land through a collective sale by paying $42.6 million for the 5,853 sq m (63,002 sq ft) site in July 2009. This translates to a land rate of $630 per sq ft per plot ratio (psf ppr) after factoring in the estimated differential premium payable.
For pricing and project updates, please WhatsApp Me.
The Arden is located at Phoenix Road, off Choa Chu Kang Road. It lies between the Phoenix and Teck Whye LRT stations about 400-500m away.
Nestled within a predominantly private residential enclave consisting of mostly landed properties, residents can look forward to a serene living environment.
The nearest shopping centre is Junction 10, which is just 9 minutes walk away. However, there are several other shopping malls nearby as well, and these include the Hillion Mall and Bukit Panjang Plaza.
There is also a post office just a stone's throw away from the Phoenix LRT station. Hence, The Arden will provide a serene living environment coupled with great convenience.
Below are the unit types offered by The Arden, catering to different segments of property investors and homeowners.
|Size (sq m / sq ft)
|No. of Units
|Unit Mix (%)
|61 / 657
|67 / 721
|94 / 1,012
|3-Bedroom + Study C0-Space
|103 / 1,109
|112 / 1,206
|4-Bedroom + Study Co-Space
|129 / 1,388
The Arden offers a good mix of 2- to 4-bedroom units, which will cater to the needs of both singles and families, as well as investors. Their sizes are relatively generous when compared to most recent new property launches. Layouts are efficient and master bedrooms can fit a king-size bed while all other bedrooms can accommodate a queen-size bed. All units have a very generous ceiling height of 3.2m - the highest among all recent new launches. As for the penthouse type, it is 4.6m high, providing a voluminous feeling.
One unique feature of The Arden is the co-space for its 3- and 4-bedroom units. which will provide efficiency, flexibility and interactivity in how owners wish to live. In other words, it allows them to configure their layout to suit their needs and preference. For a more detailed insight for the various layouts, please refer to the following floor plans.
For finishing, the living, dining, kitchen, bathroom and yards come with porcelain tiles. As for the bedrooms, they are fitted with Burmese teak parquet.
Kitchens are fully equipped with high-end appliances from Bosch while sanitary wares & fittings are supplied by Roca, Hangrohe, Tece and Franke.
Notable Design Features
Below are some of the notable design features that The Arden offers, distinguishing it from other developments:
- All units are in a North-South orientation.
- The development is situated on elevated grounds (minimally 15.2m above Choa Chu Kang Road), which will provide more privacy and exclusivity.
- All units enjoy high ceiling heights.
- The Arden's B1 unit types are more spacious than those in the market and also offer a unique concept.
- The C1 and C2 unit types come with a unique kitchen concept.
- The C2 and D2 unit types come with a flexible COSPACE concept.
- The D1 and D2 unit types enjoy wide frontage towards the landscape courts.
- All Penthouse (PH) units enjoy double-volume living and/or dining spaces.
The Arden Condo Fact Sheet
|The Arden (雅诗轩)
|CNQC Realty (Phoenix) Pte Ltd
|Proposed erection of residential development comprising of 3 blocks of 5-Storey residential building (total 105 units) with basement carparks, swimming pool & communal facilities (Bukit Batok planning area).
|2 Phoenix Road, Singapore 668156
4 Phoenix Road, Singapore 668158
6 Phoenix Road, Singapore 668159
|Total No. of Units
|105 Car Park Lots, 3 Accessible Lots, 28 Bicycle Lots
|6,464.7 sqm (approx. 69,586 sqft)
|1.4 (excluding balcony and private enclose space GFA)
|Tenure of Land
|Estimated TOP Date
|30 September 2027
|30 September 2030
|01653L, 01654C, 01655M, 01494M-PT Mukim 10
|CNQC Engineering & Construction Pte Ltd
|M.A.N Architects LLP
|Emerald Asia Consulting Pte Ltd
|United Project Consultants Pte Ltd
|Ecoplan Asia Pte Ltd
|Ong & Ong Pte Ltd
|Dentons Rodyk & Davidson LLP
|UOB Ltd for Project Account No. 701-336-628-8 of CNQC Realty (Phoenix) Pte Ltd
Shopping, Dining & Entertainment Nearby
The Arden condo is blessed with a plethora of shopping, dining, entertainment and leisure options due to its proximity to a number of shopping malls. Several of them are within walking distance such as Junction 10, Hillion Mall, Bukit Panjang Plaza and Teck Whye Shopping Centre.
Together, they have helped to create a retail ecosystem where shoppers can indulge in diverse offerings. There are also food courts and supermarkets where residents can stock up on groceries for home-cooked meals.
Slightly further away and four to five stations from Phoenix LRT station are Lot 1 Shopping Mall in Choa Chu Kang and several Beauty World shopping centres (Beauty World Centre, Beauty World Plaza and Bukit Timah Plaza).
Other than these, residents can also easily make a trip to the city via the Downtown MRT Line which is linked to several MRT interchanges such as Botanic Gardens, Newton, Little India and Bugis. These interchanges offer commuters convenient access to many popular shopping destinations such as Orchard Road, Novena, Bugis, City Hall and Marina Bay.
An Excellent Public Transport Network
The Arden condo is smacked between the Phoenix and Teck Whye LRT stations, with both located approximately 300-400m away, respectively.
Towards the East and one stop from the Phoenix LRT is Bukit Panjang MRT station on the Downtown Line. The Downtown Line brings residents directly into the City Centre and Central Business District (CBD), as well as many sought-after schools along Bukit Timah/Dunearn Road such as Nanyang Girls' High School, Chinese High School and Hwa Chong Institution, to name a few.
The Bukit Panjang MRT station is also part of an integrated transport hub (ITH). An ITH is a fully air-conditioned bus interchange that is integrated with an MRT station and adjoining commercial developments and shopping malls. It allows residents to shop comfortably, run errands or have a meal before continuing with their journey elsewhere conveniently.
In the opposite direction towards the West of Phoenix LRT and four stops away is the Choa Chu Kang MRT station on the North-South Line. And four stops from the Choa Chu Kang station is Jurong East, home to shopping malls such as JEM, Westgate, Big Box and IMM. The Jurong East station is also an integrated transport hub that directly links to Ng Teng Fong Hospital. It is also part of the Jurong Lake District, the largest mixed-use business district outside the city centre.
And north of the Choa Chu Kang MRT station is the future Sungei Kadut Eco District and Woodlands Regional Centre. Due to their proximity to The Arden, these major employment hubs can be expected to spur demand for housing.
Jurong Regional Line (JRL)
The Jurong Region MRT Line, targeted to be completed by 2029, will be linked to the Choa Chu Kang station. It is envisaged to serve residents of Choa Chu Kang, Boon Lay and the upcoming developments in Tengah.
It will also connect to major employment nodes in Jurong West, such as the Jurong Innovation District, an advanced manufacturing hub that supports an ecosystem of manufacturers, technology providers, researchers and education institutions such as the Nanyang Technological University.
For those who drive, The Arden condo is served by the Kranji and Bukit Timah expressways, which can be reached in about 6-8 minutes. These two expressways will serve those who work in major regional centres in the North (Woodlands) and West (Jurong).
Schools and Educational Institutions Near The Arden
One important criterion for property in buying a property for own stay or investment is the availability of schools nearby. One reason for this is due to the Ministry of Education's (MOE) distance-based allocation system for Primary 1 admission, with those living within 1-2km of their homes accorded priority.
As far as The Arden is concerned, there is no lack of schools. These include the following:
Schools Within 1km Radius
- Bukit Panjang Primary School.
- Greenridge Primary School.
- Teck Whye Primary School.
- West View Primary School.
- Zhenghua Primary School.
Schools Within 1-2km Radius
- Beacon Primary School.
- CHIJ Our Lady Queen of Peace.
- South view Primary School.
- St Anthony Primary School.
- West Spring Primary School.
As for secondary schools, they include the following:
- Assumption English School.
- Bukit Panjang Government High School.
- Choa Chu Kang Secondary School.
- Fajar Secondary School.
- Swiss Cottage Secondary School.
- Teck Whye Secondary School.
- Zhenghua Secondary School.
Post-Secondary And Tertiary Institutions
For post-secondary and tertiary education institutions near The Arden, they include the following:
- Jurong-Pioneer Junior College.
- ITE College West.
- Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
- Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS).
- SIM Global Education.
Most of them can be accessible by the excellent MRT network.
Nature Parks Near The Arden
The Arden condo enjoys close proximity to a number of nature parks, which. These include the Zhenghua Nature Park, Chestnut Nature Park, Dairy Farm Nature Park, Bukit Timah Nature Reserve and many more.
These nature parks are linked by park connectors, enabling residents in the surrounding housing estate to take part in various recreational activities, including hiking, nature exploration and school outing amid their rich flora and fauna.
These park connectors, which are part of the Western Adventure Loop, offer a great place for jogging and cycling while a wide diversity of bird species such as the Olive-backed sunbird and the Black-naped oriole can often be spotted. Hence, they have become popular destinations for nature lovers and avid photographers.
Another popular place in Bukit Panjang is the Pang Sua Pond, which is just two stops from the Phoenix LRT station. After a makeover by the PUB as part of the Active, Beautiful, Clean Waters (ABC Waters) scheme, it offers visitors a natural respite.
Pang Sua Pond is now home to Singapore’s second-largest man-made floating wetland system, after the Sengkang Floating Wetland in Punggol Reservoir. It has boardwalk for residents to jog or walk, viewing decks that lends a panoramic view of the water body and a stage for performances and community events by the water.
New Cycling Paths
Residents of The Arden and Bukit Panjang can now enjoy an additional 8.5km of new cycling paths just completed. This expands the total distance of cycling paths and park connectors in the area to almost 16km.
They will connect to almost every street in the town, as well as the Bukit Panjang MRT station and all eight LRT stations.
Hence, residents can enjoy easy access to community centres, the Bukit Panjang Hawker Centre and Market, and shopping malls such as Bukit Panjang Plaza and Hillion Mall nearby.
The expanded network also allows residents to cycle to neighbouring towns and surrounding natur parks.
URA Master Plan for Bukit Panjang
Bukit Panjang used to be considered as “ulu” (remote), but not anymore. Over the years, it has developed into a self-sufficient housing state with a wide range of amenities. These include shopping centres, healthcare facilities, a post office, a community club, a library, hawker centres and wet markets.
To improve the transportation needs of residents, the Bukit Panjang LRT was built and it started operation on 6 November 1999. It is Singapore's first LRT network and later, it became an interchange station when Stage 2 of the MRT Downtown Line was opened on 27 December 2015. This provided a direct link between Bukit Panjang and the city, as well as the surrounding housing estates in the North and West Region.
As a result, it has become a more accessible and desirable place to live in. However, the development doesn’t stop here. As part of the government’s plan to bring work closer to where people stay, new regional centres and employment hubs will be developed. These include the Woodlands Regional Centre and Sungei Kadut Eco-District.
With these major employment hubs directly linked by the LRT/MRT network, residents in Bukit Panjang and The Arden will benefit from future housing demand once they are fully developed.
Woodlands Regional Centre
Woodlands Regional Centre is poised to become Singapore’s largest economic hub in Singapore’s North region. It is just nine train stations from The Arden condo.
Under the URA Master Plan over the next 15 years, new spaces for business, industry, research & development, and learning & innovation will be introduced to the Woodlands Regional Centre. They will cover over 100 ha of developable land. Nestled amid a vibrant, green landscape, yet seamlessly connected with key locations in Singapore and Johor Bahru, it is envisaged to be developed into a strategic centre for the Northern Agri-Tech and Food Corridor.
This Corridor will integrate the mix of industries in Singapore’s north, connecting the future Agri-Food Innovation Park and Woodlands Regional Centre with synergistic elements of the ecosystem such as farms, Republic Polytechnic and the Senoko Food Zone.
Sungei Kadut Eco-District
Sungei Kadut is one of Singapore’s first industrial estates that played a major economic role in the early years by providing jobs and attracting foreign investments. Most importantly, it pioneered Singapore’s manufacturing sector.
But it is set to be transformed to meet the changing needs of the manufacturing industry. It will be home to high-tech businesses and knowledge-based jobs, attracting new growth industries such as agri-food and environmental technology.
Four new precincts - built specially for agri-food technology, waste management and recycling, metal, timber and furniture industries - make up the new Sungei Kadut Eco-District.
These new developments will be complemented by plenty of greenery and lifestyle amenities, thanks to a highly-connected network of nature trails and activity corridors. Being just 6 train stations from The Arden, these key employment hubs will potentially provide a pool of tenants and spur property demand for those working in the region.
The Arden will offer a promising investment opportunity due to the limited supply of private residential housing in the area. Moreover, its proximity to LRT/MRT stations, a slew of shopping malls, and schools will add to its appeal.
Meanwhile, with rising land prices, many new developments in OCR (Outside Central Region) such as Lentor Modern, Sky Eden, and Sceneca Residence are selling above $2,100 psf on average.
However, with The Arden having a significantly lower land cost, it is likely to be launched competitively at around $2,100 psf. This would make it a very attractive option for property buyers and investors.
For comparison, the land rate for the following developments are:
- The Arden - $621 psf ppr
- Sceneca Residence - $930 psf ppr
- Lentor Modern - $1,204 psf ppr
Meanwhile, those expecting a sharp decline in property prices due to recent property cooling measures and economic headwinds are likely to be disappointed. This is due to the dwindling unsold inventory of private residential housing that has dropped to a 15-year low of 15,000 to 16,000 units.
At the same time, the new supply in 2023 is estimated to be less than 9,000 to 10,000 units. This is below the average of 11,000 to 12,000 units sold per year in the last 10 years. Given the tight supply and strong demand from HDB upgraders, they will keep property prices underpinned.
The Arden's investment potential is also expected to be boosted by its proximity and direct linkages to major employment hubs such as the Sungei Kadut Eco District, Woodlands Regional Centre and the West Region (Jurong Lake District and Jurong Innovation District), which will fuel demand for housing.
But, since many of these developments are still at their nascent stage, they will provide property investors with the first-mover advantage.
10-Year Average Price Trend Comparison
Now, let’s take a look at how private condos in the Bukit Panjang Planning District have performed in the last 10 years (2012-2022).
As can be seen from the chart, the average yearly price has increased by 34%, a relatively strong performance when compared to some of the following planning districts:
- Bukit Panjang: +34%
- Jurong East: +60%
- Clementi: +34%
- Tampines: +27%
- Ang Mo Kio: +32%
- Punggol: +36%
- Pasir Ris: +29%
- Woodlands: +19%
Bukit Panjang only trails Jurong East and Punggol. This is unsurprising because Jurong East has undergone a major transformation with the development of the Jurong Lake District, which will be Singapore's largest business district outside the city.
Punggol has also undergone rapid development since the early 2000s to create a waterfront town. And during the 2018 National Day Rally, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong announced the development of the Punggol Digital District.
Such major developments have a significant and positive impact on property prices.
Hence, major developments such as the Woodlands Regional Centre and Sungei Kadut Eco District can be expected to have similar beneficial effects on property values in Bukit Panjang due to their close proximity.
Moreover, Woodlands is set to become the largest regional centre in the north region and it will be directly linked to Johor via the Rapid Transit System (RTS). With the RTS expected to be completed by end-2026, it will make the north region an important international business hub.
Considering that property values in Bukit Panjang have outperformed more established housing estates such as Tampines, Ang Mo Kio, and Pasir Ris, this only attests to its promising investment potential going forward.
In addition, given Bukit Panjang’s pleasant living environment close to nature parks and convenient access to a wide choice of amenities, The Arden will appeal to those looking for their own stay or to start a family.
And with the MRT Downtown Line providing a direct route to many popular schools along Bukit Timah Road, this will further boost its appeal. Some of these schools include Methodist Girls' School, Nanyang Girls' High School, Hwa Chong Junior College, and National Junior College, to name a few.
The Downtown Line also provides a convenient commute to tertiary institutions such as Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) and SIM Global Education located in Clementi Road.
When it comes to international schools, the nearest to The Arden is the German European School Singapore (GESS) at Dairy Farm Lane - a mere 7 minutes drive away.
Slightly further away in Woodlands is the Singapore American School. The proximity to these international schools could potentially attract housing demand from expatriate families, especially those working in the neighbouring commercial and industrial hubs.
In conclusion, The Arden condo will provide a promising investment opportunity on several fronts. Besides its attractive entry price, it also enjoys excellent locational attributes and the chance to ride on mega transformations in Singapore’s Northern and Western Regions.
Below are other property reviews that may also interest you:
- Skywaters Residences, a mixed-use development in near Tanjong Pagar MRt station.
- Newport Residences, a mixed-use development beside the Greater Southern Waterfront.
- TMW Maxwell, a mixed-use development near Maxwell food centre and MRT station.
- Marina View Residences, a luxurious 99-year mixed-use development in District 1.
- Watten House, a freehold condo in exclusive District 11.
- Hill House, a boutique condominium near Fort Canning MRT station.
- Perfect Ten, a high-end condominium at Bukit Timah.
- The Reserve Residences, a District 21 integrated development at Beauty World.
- Blossoms By The Park, a residential cum commercial development at One-North in District 5.
- The Hill @ One-North, a residential cum commercial development in District 5 near Star Vista.
- The Continuum, a freehold condominium near Paya Lebar Mrt station.
- Grand Dunman, a condominium next to Dakota MRT station.
- Pinetree Hill, a 99-year condominium in District 21 near Ulu Pandan Canal.
- Tembusu Grand, a 99-year condominium in District 15 near Tanjong Katong MRT station.
- Terra Hill, a freehold condominium near Pasir Panjang MRT station and food centre.
- The Arcady, a freehold condo development a short walk from Boon Keng MRT station in District 12.
- Sora, condominium in District 22 next to Jurong Lake Gardens.
- Lumina Grand, an EC by CDL located at Bukit Batok and near nature parks.
- Botany At Dairy Farm, a District 23 condominium near Hillview MRT station.
- LakeGarden Residences, a District 22 condominium next to Jurong Lake Gardens.
- J’Den, a District 22 mixed-use development near Jurong East MRT station.
- Altura EC, a District 23 executive condominium near Bukit Gomabk MRT station.
- Hillock Green, a District 26 condo near Lentor MRT station.
- Hillhaven, a 99-year condominium 5 minutes walk from Hillview MRT station,
- Lentoria, a condo development near Lentor MRT by TID.
- North Gaia, a District 27 executive condominium near Yishun integrated transport hub.
To check further details of new launches, please refer to project information.