The Continuum Preview: 15 April 2023
- The Continuum Unique Selling Points
- The Continuum - Condo Fact Sheet
- The Continuum Unit Mix
- The Continuum Design Features
- Who are the Developers of The Continuum Condo?
- What are the Prices for The Continuum?
- Where is The Continuum Condo Located?
- Excellent Public Transport Connectivity
- Major Employment Hubs Near The Continuum
- A Vibrant Precinct – A Mix of Modernity and Old-World Charm
- Shopping Malls Nearby
- Interesting Food Places and Food Havens
- Leisure Attractions Near The Continuum Condo
- Popular Schools Near The Continuum
- An Investment Analysis
- Rental Analysis
- Upcoming New Property Launches in District 15
- Other Property Reviews
This is a review of The Continuum, a freehold condo development at Thiam Siew Avenue in Singapore’s District 15.
Jointly developed by Hoi Hup Realty and Sunway Developments, it will comprise four 17-story and two 18-story blocks housing a total of 816 residential units. They acquired the 24,507.06 sq m (263,794 sq ft) freehold site via a public tender in November 2021.
The Continuum condo is within 10-11 minutes’ walk of the Paya Lebar and Dakota MRT stations, and near Kong Hwa, Haig Girls', and Tanjong Katong Primary schools.
This property review seeks to provide an unbiased evaluation of The Continuum to help you make an informed decision on whether this is the right property to invest in. These include the folllowing:
Nevertheless, please feel free to WhatsApp or Email Me if you wish to:
- Receive the latest updates about the development.
- Visit the showflat to appreciate the development better.
- Gain a deeper insight into its investment potential and get an update on Singapore’s property market.
The Continuum Unique Selling Points
- Reputable property developers with an excellent track record of building quality homes.
- Largest freehold new launch in the East.
- Located in the highly popular District 15, sandwiched between Tanjong Katong and Haig Road.
- Within 10-11 minutes’ walk of Dakota and Paya Lebar MRT stations, providing convenient access to the Central Business District, Downtown Singapore, and major employment hubs.
- A vibrant precinct and a stone’s throw from Paya Lebar sub-regional centre, Katong, and Joo Chiat.
- Close to a plethora of amenities, shopping malls, and interesting food places.
- Near leisure attractions such as East Coast Park, Kallang Riverside Park, and Singapore Sports Hub.
- Close to popular schools, with several primary schools located within a 2km radius.
The Continuum - Condo Fact Sheet
|Development Type||4 tower blocks, 17 storey height with roof garden (9% core), and 2 tower blocks, 18 storey height (6% core) with 8 stacks of private lifts.
1 conservation bungalow at North site.
1 overhead bridge linking North and South sites.
|Developer:||A joint venture between Hoi Hup Realty and Sunway Developments.|
|Number of Units||816.|
|Carpark Lots||2 full basement carparks with 1 lot to 1 unit ratio. Total of 816 + 8 accessible lots (inclusive of 8 active EV lots).|
|Address||8 Thiam Siew Avenue, Singapore 436846.|
|Site Area:||25,083.2 sq m (269,995 sq ft)|
|Overall Gross Floor Area:||77,256.26 sq m (831,579.46 sq ft) - inclusive of Bonus Balcony GFA, Built Environment Transformation GFA, and existing Conservation Bungalow.|
|Expected TOP||Q4 2026.|
|Refuse Disposal||Pneumatic waste conveyance to North and South.|
|Special Feature||Green Mark Platinum + Super Low Energy (SLE).|
|Main Contractor||Straits Construction Singapore Pte Ltd.|
|Architect||PT Consultants Pte Ltd.|
|Structure Engineer||BC Koh & Partners LLP.|
|M&E Consultant||Rankine & Hill.|
|Landscape Consultant||STX Landscape Architects.|
|Project Interior Designer||2nd Edition Pte Ltd.|
|Light Consultant||Glint Lighting Design Pte Ltd.|
The Continuum Unit Mix
The Continuum condo offers a good mix of unit sizes, ranging from 1-Bedroom + Study to 5-Bedroom. This will cater to a wide range of homebuyers and property investors. Below are the breakdown of the differents unit types:
|Description||Unit Type||No. of Units||Unit Mix||Unit Area (sq m)||Unit Area (sq ft)|
|1-Bedroom + Study||A||68||8%||52||560|
|2-Bedroom + Study||B3, B4||136||17%||65-67||700-722|
|3-Bedroom + Utility||C4-C7||136||17%||99-121||1,066-1,302|
|3-Bedroom + Study||C8-C9||72||9%||114-136||1,227-1,464|
|4-Bedroom + Utility||D4||32||4%||158-192||1,700-2,067|
The units are segregated into two distinct Collections:
- Signature Collection: 1-Bedroom + Study to 4-Bedroom.
- Prestige Collection: 3-Bedroom + Study to 5-Bedroom with private lift.
- As The Continuum is not using Prefabricated Prefinished Volumetric Construction (PPVC) building method, residents will have the flexibility to knock down walls to reconfigure their rooms.
- Store room for all units.
- Regular and efficient layouts.
- Unit Type 4-Bedroom and 5-Bedroom Prestige Collection will have corner Living/Dining and 180 degree balcony opening.
- Island Dry Kitchen for Unit Type 4-Bedroom and 5-Bedroom Prestige Collection.
- Large walk-in closet with 4-piece bathroom for Unit Type 4-Bedroom and 5-Bedroom Prestige Collection.
The Continuum Design Features
- A pedestrian overhead bridge linking the North and South sites, providing residents with a wide array of facilities.
- Integration of old and new - to revive built heritage by conserving 21 Thiam Siew house into a clubhouse surrounded by state-of-the-art residential towers and facilities.
Upgrading of Thiam Siew Avenue into a wider road with selected trees and manicured landscape with public seating and landmark private pedestrian overhead bridge that will create an exclusive, unique and distinct identity that is not found elsewhere in Singapore.
- A variety of facilities from ground level to rooftop, which include lush landscaping, 50m lap pool, wellness pool, pavillions, and great views towards the North/West and South/East.
- 2-storey basement carpark with 1-to-1 parking ratio.
- Curated facilities for all - these include active and wellness facilities, sky gardens with stunning views, sky gyms, and exclusinve fine-dining areas on high floors.
- Blocks designed in a North-South orientation.
- Selected premium penthouse units with large ceiling space.
- Elegant facade design with full-height glass curtain wall, large picture-frame windows, horizontal ledges and vertical aluminium fins to accentuate the vertical element of the tower blocks.
- Clubhouses at North and South sites with 6 social spaces, sky gardens, and pavillions at ground level.
- Development to target Green Mark Platinum Super Low Energy certification.
Who are the Developers of The Continuum Condo?
The developers for Continuum condo are Hoi Hup Realty and Malaysian conglomerate Sunway Developments. They acquired the two freehold sites for $815 million. Two of their latest developments are Ki Residences and the freehold Terra Hill.
Hoi Hup Realty – Founded in 1983, they have successfully completed a diversified portfolio of residential developments over the years. These include private condominiums, landed housing, cluster-strata housing, executive condominiums, and mixed-use commercial developments.
Sunway Group - Established in 1974, it is one of Malaysia’s top multinational property-construction corporations, with businesses in 50 locations worldwide. It has won over 200 international and national awards for building sustainable and environmentally friendly developments.
What are the Prices for The Continuum?
The prices for The Continuum are not available yet.
However, based on its land cost, it is estimated to be launched around $2,700 psf on average.
Hoi Hup Realty and Sunway Developments bought the two freehold development sites at Thiam Siew Avenue for S$815m via a public tender that closed on 18 November 2021.
The 25,083.2 sq m (269,995 sq ft) land parcel has a plot ratio of 2.8 and is made up of 22 small plots. With an estimated development charge of S$284m, this works out to a land price of about S$1,488 psf per plot ratio. After factoring in the 7% bonus balconies (development charge estimated at S$39.3m), this translates to land price of about S$1,440 psf ppr.
Please WhatsApp Me for the latest pricing updates.
Where is The Continuum Condo Located?
The Continuum condo is located at Thiam Siew Avenue in Singapore’s District 15, flanked by Tanjong Katong and Haig Road.
The site is an amalgamation of two large residential land plots comprising 22 freehold pre-war semi-detached houses on either side of Thiam Siew Avenue.
Towards its North, East, and South are some high-rise apartments that are quite well spaced apart. Hence, residents of The Continuum will still get pockets of view of East Coast Park.
Towards its West are mostly low-rise and landed housing, which will ensure good air circulation and a pleasing living environment.
The Continuum is within 10-11 minutes’ walk of the Dakota MRT station (Circle Line) and Paya Lebar MRT interchange (East-West and Circle Lines).
Given its proximity to the Paya Lebar sub-regional centre, Katong, and Joo Chiat, the area offers a fascinating mix of modernity, culture, and old-world charm.
Excellent Public Transport Connectivity
With the Dakota MRT station (Circle Line) and Paya Lebar Interchange (Circle & East-West Lines) within a 10-11 minutes’ walk from The Continuum, residents will enjoy convenient access to many major shopping, leisure, and entertainment destinations, as well as key employment nodes. Many of these can be reached via a short train ride and they include the following:
- Bugis – 4 stops
- City Hall – 5 stops
- Expo – 5 stops
- Raffles Place – 6 stops
- Changi Airport – 6 stops
- Tampines Regional Centre - 6 stops
- Marina Bay – 7 stops
Expressways Near The Continuum Condo
The Continuum condo has convenient access to four major highways that are merely 5-6 minutes’ drive away. They are:
- East Coast Parkway (ECP)
- Pan-Island Expressway (PE|IE)
- Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE)
- Nicholl Highway
Major Employment Hubs Near The Continuum
With The Continuum located close to major employment hubs, there is a good catchment of existing tenants for those looking for property investment. These include the following:
Paya Lebar Sub-Regional Centre – A 3.9 ha mixed retail, commercial and residential area surrounding the Paya Lebar MRT station, it is part of the government’s plan to decentralise the Central Business District (CBD) and bring jobs closer to where people live. At the same time, it helps to revitalise and bring more vibrancy to the precinct, as it has been earmarked as one of the 10 Business Improvement Districts in Singapore.
Raffles Place and Marina Bay Financial District – Being the heart of Singapore’s financial and business centre, it is home to many global financial institutions and MNCs. Many of them have set up their regional headquarters here to take advantage of Singapore’s position as the third largest financial centre in the world.
Changi Region – Consisting of Changi Airport, Changi Business Park, Changi Aviation Park, and Changi City, it will be developed into a vibrant, mixed-use district to sustain Singapore’s status as a leading air hub.
Paya Lebar Airbase – To be relocated from 2030 onwards, the 800ha of land (five times the size of Toa Payoh) will be gradually transformed into a highly liveable and sustainable new town. There are also plans to develop it into a major employment node where residents can live, work, and play.
A Vibrant Precinct – A Mix of Modernity and Old-World Charm
Being in the Marine Parade Planning District, which include Katong and Joo Chiat, the area has seen its fair share of rejuvenation. These include the development Katong Square, the Flow, and the refurbishment of i12 Katong Mall, which have helped to modernise the precinct.
Nevertheless, many parts of the district still retains an old-world charm where shophouses have been finely conserved with their colourful and intricately designed facades. Together with its incredibly rich Peranakan and Eurasian heritage, it offers a fascinating living environment that has continued to attract property investors.
Some of the shophouses have been turned into F&B outlets that offer a variety of local, Asian and Western cuisines. There are also some selling traditional delicacies such as Peranakan Dumplings, pastries, and Teochew kueh.
Shopping Malls Nearby
The Continuum is located close to a good number of shopping malls, offering residents a diverse range of retail, leisure, recreation, and entertainment options. Some that are within walking distance are:
- PLQ Mall
- Paya Lebar Square
- SingPost Centre
- City Plaza
- Tanjong Katong Complex
- Joo Chiat Complex
Slightly further away but within a 4-7 minutes’ drive are several other malls such as:
- Katong Shopping Centre
- Parkway Parade
- I12 Katong Mall
- Katong Square
- The Flow
- Kallang Wave Mall
For daily necessities, the two nearest supermarkets are located at KINEX (HAO mart) and PLQ Mall (FairPrice Finest). Alternatively, residents of The Continuum can visit the popular Haig Road or Geylang Serai wet markets nearby to buy fresh produce.
Interesting Food Places and Food Havens
Residents of The Continuum have no lack of food options. For affordable and popular local fares, three food centres just 8-12 minutes’ walk away. They are:
- Haig Road Market and Food Centre
- Geylang Serai Market and Food Centre
- Dunman Food Centre
Besides the above, residents can also visit many of the interesting eateries found in shophouses along Tanjong Katong Road, Joo Chiat, and East Coast Road. Together, they serve up a wide variety of cuisines that range from local, Western, Thai, Indonesian, Malay, Indian to Peranakan, and many more.
There are also many hipster cafes and confectioneries, making the area a bona fide food haven that attract both the young and old.
Leisure Attractions Near The Continuum Condo
The Continuum condo enjoys proximity to several popular leisure attractions, which offer a family-friendly living environment. These include the following:
East Coast Park – A popular destination for a variety of outdoor recreations such as camping, jogging, cycling, rollerblading, and many more. Water sports enthusiasts can also take up windsurfing, canoeing and stand-up paddling courses offered by PA Water Venture.
For the little ones, there are several playgrounds such as the Coastal PlayGrove and Marine Cove. They offer a variety of activities suitable for different ages, which include vertical net climbing, long metallic tube slides, rope bridge, talking tubes, and more.
Singapore Sports Hub – Another popular leisure destination, it offers a wide range of entertainment, sporting, and outdoor recreational options. Some of the activities it offers include lawn bowling, rock climbing, Splash-N-Surf water play, kayaking, and canoeing.
In the future, residents can also look forward to new recreational and sports facilities under the Kallang Alive master plan. Some of its highlights will include a Football Hub, Tennis Centre, redevelopment of Kallang Theatre, and Youth Hub which will host a velodrome, speed climbing facilities and BMX tracks.
Kallang Riverside Park – Due to its calm waters, it offers an ideal place for water sports aficionados to practise dragon boating, canoeing, and water-skiing. It is also a popular destination for anglers and birdwatchers where tiny egrets and grey herons can often be sighted during the migratory season.
Along the banks are fitness equipment, jogging cum cycling tracks, and a children playground, providing a fun day out for the whole family.
Goodman Arts Centre – Home to more than 40 arts groups, it offers a variety of arts and cultural programmes. These range from dance, theatre, poetry, and fine art. It also conducts workshops that encourage family bonding through art.
Popular Schools Near The Continuum
There are many popular schools near The Continuum. Not only will this appeal to families with school-going children, but also property investors as it can command higher rentals and offer good investment potential.
This is due to the Ministry of Education’s distance-based admission system for Primary 1. Hence, it is unsurprising that properties near good schools can command a large price premium over those located further away, as found by a study from NUS Institute of Real Estate Studies.
An analysis of The Continuum’s rental and capital appreciation potential can be found towards the end of this review.
Meanwhile, below is a list of schools near The Continuum condo:
Primary Schools Within a 1km Radius
- Haig Girls’ School
- Kong Hwa School
- Tanjong Katong Primary School
Primary Schools Between a 1-2km Radius
- CHIJ (Katong) Primary
- Geylang Methodist School (Primary)
- Maha Bodhi School
- Tao Nan School
- Broadrick Secondary School
- CHIJ Katong Convent
- Chung Cheng High School (Main)
- Dunman High School
- Tanjong Katong Girls’ School
- Tanjong Katong Secondary School
- Victoria School
- Victoria Junior College
- Temasek Junior College
International Schools Near The Continuum
There are several international schools near The Continuum. For those looking for investment, they will find a good catchment of expatriate tenants working in the surrounding employment nodes.
The nearest is Canadian International School located just 12 minutes’ walk from the condominium.
Several others are a short drive away and they include the following:
- EtonHouse International School Broadrick
- Olympiad International School
- 5 Steps Academy
- Nexus International School
An Investment Analysis
The area around Tanjong Katong and Haig Road is predominantly made up of landed homes and small condominium developments. Hence, The Continuum will offer a rare opportunity to own a property with such a sizeable land plot, making it a landmark in the area.
But what is the investment potential of such a big development? To answer this question, let us analyse how three condo developments near each other have performed, with all of them within walking distance of a MRT station:
- Seaside Residences, an 841-unit 99-year leasehold condo launched in April 2017 (Completion 2021)
- Questa @ Dunman, a 122-unit freehold condo launched in March 2011 (Completion 2013)
- One Amber, a 562-unit freehold condo launched in April 2005 (Completion 2010)
To analyse how the three properties have performed, let’s take 2Q 2017 as the reference point when Seaside Residences was launched. As can be seen from Chart 1 above, the average price appreciation of the three properties is as follows:
- Seaside Residences: +19.34%
- Questa @ Dunman: +14.41%
- One Amber: +37.79%
Some Interesting Observations
Although there are some differences in the age of the properties when analysing their average price performances, they have nonetheless thrown up some interesting observations:
- The larger 841-unit 99-year leasehold Seaside Residences outperforms the smaller 122-unit freehold Questa @ Dunman ⇒ +19.34% vs +14.41%.
- The older 562-unit freehold One Amber outperforms the newer 841-unit 99-year leasehold Seaside Residences ⇒ +37.79% vs +19.34%.
- The larger and older freehold One Amber outperforms the smaller and newer freehold Questa @ Dunman ⇒ +37.79% vs +14.41%.
- Up to the point when Seaside Residences was launched, the older One Amber has also outperformed the newer Questa @ Dunman ⇒ 91.90% vs 13.84%.
In summary, the data suggests that a large freehold condo development could offer a higher rate of capital appreciation than:
- a small and newer freehold development
- a large and newer 99-year leasehold development
This could be attributed to some advantages inherent to a large freehold condo development:
- A bigger development will offer more facilities and landscaping
- A freehold development will mitigate lease decay concerns
- A larger development will have more transactions, offering a reasonable and up-to-date value of the property compared to one with low transaction volume
- Property valuation from financial institutions and valuers is derived from recent transactions. Properties with few transactions may not reflect their actual valuation, making them less desirable, especially in a rising market
Below is a sample of freehold and 99-year leashold properties in District 15 with their corresponding average rental yields. They range between 2.6% to 3.4%, which is quite healthy in today's market. In fact, it is unsurprising to find rental yields in the low to mid-2% for properties in the Core Central Region (CCR).
|Name of Condominium||Status||No. of Units||Completion||Average Rental Yield|
|Questa @ Dunman||Freehold||122||2013||3.0%|
|La Vida @ 130||Freehold||43||2014||3.3%|
|The Shore Residences||103-Year||408||2014||3.4%|
What is notable is that rental yields show little differences between small and large, or between freehold and 99-year leasehold developments. This shows there is a strong demand for all housing types in the area for two main reasons:
- Proximity to popular primary schools such as Tao Nan and Maha Bodhi, which lie within a 2km radius of the properties.
- Popularity of District 15, which is one of the most coveted residential district outside the CCR. This can be attributed to its combination of convenience, easy access to a wide range of amenities, and a fascinating mix of modernity and old-world charm.
Upcoming New Property Launches in District 15
Meanwhile, the Continuum may face some competition from two upcoming developments nearby:
Tembusu Grand - a 638-unit condo development by CDL and MCL Land located about 650m from the upcoming Tanjong Katong MRT station on the Thomson-East Coast Line. They clinched the site with a top bid of $768 million or a land rate of $1,302 psf ppr in November 2022.
Grand Dunman - a mega 1,035-unit condo development by the SingHaiyi Group. It was awarded the site after submitting the highest bid of $1.28 billion or a land rate of $1,350 psf ppr in June 2022.
Based on their land cost, the two upcoming condominium developments are estimated to be launched around $2,450 psf to $2,550 psf on average, as compared to $2,700 psf for The Continuum.
New Government Land Sale (GLS) and En Bloc Sites
Meanwhile, on 8 December, the government announced that it has placed an additional 99-year leasehold site at Jalan Tembusu on its Confirmed List, which lies next to Tembusu Grand. With a land size of 221,436 sq ft, it could yield an estimated 825 units when developed. However, given the slew of new launches in the area, housing developers may be a little cautious when the site is put up for tender, estimated to take place in March this year.
Other than the upcoming government land sale (GLS), more supply will come from two freehold en bloc sites:
La Ville - Sold to Hong Kong-listed property firm ZACD Group for $152 million or a land rate of $1,477 psf ppr after factoring in an additional 7% bonus gross floor area (GFA). It is expected to yield about 107 residential units.
Meyer Park - Sold to an 80/20 joint venture between UOL Group and Singapore Land Group for $392.18 million or a land rate of $1,668 psf ppr after factoring in an additional 7% bonus gross floor area (GFA). It is expected to yield 251 residential units.
Both are higher than The Continuum's $1,440 psf ppr land rate. And given Meyer Park's substantially higher land cost, it will likely set a new benchmark for District 15 with an estimated average selling price around $3,100 psf.
Hence, with The Continuum expected to be launched around $2,700 psf on average, it can still offer an enticing option for property investors despite the overhanging supply.
If you wish to receive the latest information on the The Continuum, visit the showflat, or be updated on the latest property developments, please WhatsApp Me.
Other Property Reviews
Besides The Continuum, you may also wish to check out the following reviews of new launches:
- Skywaters Residences, a mixed-used development in District 1 opposite Tanjong Pagar MRT station.
- Newport Residences, a mixed-use development near Prince Edward and Tanjong Pagar MRT stations.
- TMW Maxwell, a mixed-use development in District 1 near 2 MRT stations and Chinatown.
- Hill House, a 999-year leasehold hilltop condo at Institution Hill.
- Perfect Ten, a prime District 10 condo near Newton and Stevens MRT stations.
- Blossoms By The Park, a mixed-use development at one-north.
- The Hill @ One-North, a mixed-use development near Buona Vista MRT station.
- The Arden, a small condo development at Phoenix Road in the Bukit Panjang housing estate.
- Sceneca Residence, a mixed-use development directly linked to the Tanah Merah MRT station.
- Botany At Dairy Farm, a 99-year leasehold condo located a short distance from Hillview MRT station.
- Lentor Hills Residences, a 99-year condo near Lentor MRT station.
- The Reserve Residences, a 99-year integrated development located at Beauty World in District 21.
- LakeGarden Residences, a 99-year leasehold condo next to Jurong Lake Gardens in District 22.
More details on new property launches can also be found in project information.