J'Den Preview: 28 October to 7 November 2023
- J’Den Condo's Unique Selling Points
- J'den Condo Fact Sheet
- Unit Mix
- J'Den's Design Features
- Who is the Developer of J’Den Condo?
- What are the Prices for J’Den Condo?
- Where is J’Den Condo Located?
- Jurong Lake District (JLD) – The Future of Urban Living
- Jurong Lake Gardens - An Outdoor Haven for J’Den Residents
- J’Den Enjoys Excellent Transport Connectivity
- Jurong East – A Shopping Paradise in the West Region
- Major Employment Hubs Near J’Den Condo
- Schools and Educational Institutions Near J’Den Condo
- Review Conclusion - An Investment Perspective
- Average Property Price Trend In Jurong Lake District (D22)
- Other Property Reviews
This is a review of J’Den, a 99-year mixed-use development at the heart of the Jurong Lake District (JLD) in Singapore’s District 22.
It will be the redevelopment of the former JCube, a shopping mall which features a range of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options, including an ice skating rink, and a cinema.
The new 40-storey development by CapitaLand Development will comprise 368 residential units with commercial spaces on the first and second storeys. When completed, it will be directly connected to the Jurong East MRT integrated transport hub 2 minutes walk away.
In turn, it will be linked to Westgate, IMM Building, Ng Teng Fong Hospital, and Jurong Community Hospital via J-Walk, an elevated and covered pedestrian network in Jurong Lake District.
This review seeks to offer an objective evaluation of the J’Den condo’s various attributes to facilitate a well-informed investment decision. These include the following:
J’Den Condo's Unique Selling Points
- Developed by CapitaLand Development, one of Asia’s largest diversified real estate groups
- Located at the heart of the bustling Jurong Lake District (JLD), Singapore’s biggest business district outside the city
- A landmark - the first and tallest mixed-use development in JLD
- Over 85,000 sq ft of the site will be designated for landscaping
- Proximity to Jurong Lake Gardens, with its abundance of green spaces and recreation areas, offers an enhanced standard of living
- Direct and sheltered link to the upcoming Jurong East transport hub via J-Walk
- Excellent transport connectivity
- Short walk to many shopping malls and amenities such as Jurong Regional Library and Community Club
- Convenient access to schools and Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
- Major employment hubs offer excellent investment potential
J'den Condo Fact Sheet
|Development Type||40-storey mixed-use development with 368 residential units; 2-storey commercial podium|
|Developer||Tanglin R.E. Holdings Pte Ltd, a subsidiary of CapitaLand Development (Singapore)|
|Address||2 Jurong East Central 1, Singapore 609731|
|District||22 (Bukit Timah Planning Area)|
|Site Area||7,771,2 sq m / 836,485 sq ft|
|Max Permissible Gross Floor Area (GFA)||32,639 sq m / 351,323 sq ft|
|Commercial Gross Floor Area||1,300 sq m / 13,993 sq ft 97 units of commercial at 1st & 2nd storey, with J-Walk linked to 2nd storey|
|No. of Block||1|
|No. of Storey||40 & 3 storey basement carpark|
|No. of Units||368 residential units|
|Carpark lots||294 lots for residents (80% provision, inclusive of 44 EV lots) and 3 handicap lots|
|No. of Bicycle Lots||112 lots for residents|
|Estimated Date of Vacant Possession||2028|
|Architect/QP||Surban Jurong Consultants Pte Ltd|
|Landscape Architect||Coen Design International Pte Ltd|
|Sales Enquiry||Click here|
For E-brochure and the latest updates on J'Den, please WhatsApp me.
|Configuration||Type||Area (sq ft)||Stack||No. of Units|
|1-Bedroom + Study||AS||620||10||37|
|2-Bedroom + Study||BS1||810||1||37|
|2-Bedroom + Study||BS2||850||9||37|
|3-Bedroom Premium + Study||C(P)||1,200||2||36|
|4-Bedroom Premium + Study||D(P)||1,400||8||37|
|Kitchen Appliances||Unit Type|
|Induction hob and cooker hood||√||√|
|Gas hob and cooker hood||√||√||√|
|Built-in convection oven||√||√||√||√||√|
|Combi washer dryer||√||√||√||√|
|Free-standing washer and dryer||√|
J'Den's Design Features
- Maximise ventilation with cross-ventilated units and provisions of ceiling fans in the living room
- Low-maintenance material selection for interior and exterior
- Use of Low-Emissivity Glass where applicable, RETV<20W/m2
- Residential tower in North-South orientation
- Provision of canopy balcony, AC ledge and RC ledge for shading on every floor
- Provision of 85,000 sq ft of landscaping and accessible planted sky terrace
- Placement of nature elements and use of mixed texture
- Water-efficient auto-irrigation system
- Provision of diverse plant species with more than 50% native to Southeast Asia
Mechanical & Electrical
- Lighting power budget and energy savings at 55%
- Use of 5 ticks DX unit for all air-c0nditioning
- Efficient mechanical ventilation equipment
- Lifts with VVVF drive and sleep mode
- EV Charging Stations consist of 15% of overall vehicular parking provisions
- Use of sustainable construction materials and methods to reduce environmental impacts
- Conservation, Resource recovery and waste management
- Use of precast PBUs and precast vertical elements
Who is the Developer of J’Den Condo?
The developer for J’Den condo is CapitaLand Development (CLD), the development arm of CapitaLand Group.
It has a strong focus on Singapore, China, and Vietnam and offers real estate development expertise in various asset classes, which include integrated developments, retail, office, lodging, residential, business parks, industrial, logistics and data centres.
Recognised for its exceptional skills in land development, project execution, and master planning, it is a recipient of many industry accolades such as the Building and Construction Authority Quality Excellence Award and FIABCI Prix d’Excellence Award.
Some of its notable residential developments in Singapore include One Pearl Bank, Sky Habitat, d'Leedon, and The Interlace.
What are the Prices for J’Den Condo?
During the sales launch of J'Den on 11 November 2023, it sold 323 out of a total of 368 units at an average price of $2,451 psf, a new benchmark for the area. This translates to a take-up rate of 88%, making it the best-selling project this year.
The strong demand, where it was 3.4 times subscribed, is unsurprising as it is the first new private residential project launch in Jurong Gateway in a decade. Home buyers and investors are also attracted to the exciting transformation in the Jurong Lake District that will be served by four MRT lines, signalling the government's bold vision for the district.
Moreover, it is set to become Singapore's largest business district outside the city, offering a rare opportunity for property investors to take advantage of the future potential of JLD. In addition, there may be a chance of a revival of the high-speed rail (HSR) with Malaysia. If this happens, property values in the areas will receive an added boost.
Meanwhile, the following are the average prices transacted for recent new launches in the OCR:
- Hillock Green: $2,108 psf
- Lentor Hills Residences: $ 2,104 psf
- Lentor Modern: $2,104 psf
- The Myst: $ 2,077 psf
- The Botany At Dairy Farm: $ 2,072 psf
Although J'Den's average selling price is higher than the above-mentioned projects, this simply reflects its better location and investment potential. As the saying goes, location creates desirability, desirability creates demand, and demand raises real estate values.
WhatsApp me for more information or to attend the launch preview.
J’Den condo is located at Jurong Gateway, the commercial hub of Jurong Lake District (JLD) and the West Region.
About 2 minutes walk away is the Jurong East MRT interchange. However, it is currently being redeveloped into an integrated transport hub (ITH).
ITHs are fully air-conditioned bus interchanges that are seamlessly linked to MRT stations and adjoining commercial developments such as shopping malls.
Nearby shopping malls include JEM, Westgate, and IMM. All are within a 2 to 9-minute walk from the new development.
Jurong Lake District (JLD) – The Future of Urban Living
The Jurong Lake District has taken a holistic approach to urban planning, creating a space that offers a high quality of life, business opportunities, and a thriving community.
With its lush lakefront greenery, native fauna, and inviting public spaces, this district offers a unique blend of urban and natural environments. One of its highlights is the Jurong Lake Gardens.
As a district of gardens and water with over 100 hectares of park and greenery and a 70-hectare lake with more than 10 km of active waterfront, it offers an abundance of outdoor recreation.
At the same time, Jurong Lake District is fast becoming the preferred location for businesses looking to innovate and attract top talent. For example, the Jurong Innovation District (JID) and Tuas mega port are being positioned as “industrial hubs of the future”.
With their advanced infrastructure, they are set to spur the next phase of Singapore’s economic advancement and growth.
Around the upcoming Jurong East integrated transport hub, the cluster of popular shopping malls provides convenient access to various services, amenities, and entertainment options. They play an essential role in making the district an attractive place to work, live, and play.
Key Objectives of Jurong Lake District
Below are some of the key objectives of the Jurong Lake District:
- Priming towards a green economy
- Building a model sustainable district
- Pursuing sustainable transport infrastructure that is car-lite
- Enabling healthy living and building a city in nature
- Achieving net zero emissions and zero waste
- Advancing sustainability through partnership and innovation
Upcoming Developments In Jurong Lake District (JLD)
New Jurong Regional Library – It will be relocated to the Jurong East integrated transport hub and is expected to open in 2027, together with a community club, and sports centre.
New Science Centre – Larger than the existing one, it will be built next to the Jurong Lake Gardens. The new centre will house more purpose-built gallery spaces for thematic exhibits and enhanced educational facilities, such as specialised labs for students for hands-on activities.
Integrated Tourism Development – Envisaged as a unique and first of its kind that will make Jurong Lake District a must-visit tourism destination. It will feature a mix of attractions, a hotel, retail, F&B and public spaces that will appeal to the demands of international tourists, business travellers and locals.
Jurong Lake Gardens - An Outdoor Haven for J’Den Residents
One of the most appealing experiences of living in the West Region is the spectacular views offered by the Jurong Lake Gardens, while the many interesting outdoor activities have endeared it to many.
Located next to the Chinese Garden MRT station, it is just one stop from the J’Den condo.
The Jurong Lake Gardens, which covers an area of 90 hectares, is made up of Lakeside Garden, Chinese Garden and Japanese Garden. From children’s playgrounds to water sports, walking trails, and birdwatching, it has become a popular destination for family and friends.
Below are some activities residents of the J’Den condo can look forward to at the Jurong Lake Gardens:
Children’s playground – There are many children’s play areas such as Clusia Cove, Forest Ramble, and Therapeutic Garden. They offer a variety of fun activities like water play, tube slides, adventure bridges, and even a butterfly maze, to name a few.
Skate Park - Skateboarders of all skill levels will be able to practise their tricks at Singapore’s largest skate park. There are five skate pods catering to skateboarders of different skills level. The skate park also has a pump track, a parkour area and a bouldering wall.
Water sports – Run by Passion Wave, it offers rental for pedal boating, kayaking, dragon boating, sailing, windsurfing, stand-up paddling, and sport climbing.
ActiveSG Park – It offers an outdoor fitness corner with adult equipment, an exercise playground for children, a swimming pool, and a gym. In addition, there is a wheelchair-accessible Rooftop Garden, and rentable event spaces.
ABC Waters @ Jurong Lake – The Jurong Lake boardwalk is a part of PUB's ABC Waters Programme aimed at revitalizing water bodies and improving the environment. Visitors can observe the abundant wildlife up close and admire the lush greenery and scenery around the lake.
J’Den Enjoys Excellent Transport Connectivity
With J’Den just 2 minutes walk from the Jurong East MRT interchange, residents will enjoy convenient commutes to many parts of Singapore. Meanwhile, construction is underway to turn it into an integrated transport hub (ITH).
ITHs are bus interchanges that seamlessly link to MRT stations and commercial developments such as shopping malls.
Currently, the Jurong East MRT station is an interchange for the East-West and North-South Lines. However, it will be joined by the Jurong Regional Line (JRL) when its second of three stages are completed in 2028.
Other than the Jurong Regional Line, the Jurong Lake District will also benefit from the construction of the Cross Island Line.
With the extensive MRT network, residents of the J’Den condo will enjoy easy access to major employment hubs such as:
- One-North – 4 stops.
- National University of Singapore / National University Hospital – 5 stops.
- Sungei Kadut Eco-District – 6 stops.
- Jurong Innovation District (JID) - 7 stops.
- Nanyang Technological University – 7 stops.
- Woodlands Regional Centre – 9 stops.
Jurong Regional Line (JRL)
Currently, the Jurong East MRT station is an interchange for the East-West and North-South Lines. However, it will be joined by the Jurong Regional Line (JRL) when its second of three stages is completed in 2028.
The entire Jurong Regional Line (JRL) is expected to be completed by 2029, which consists of the following three stages:
- Stage 1 (2027): Choa Chu Kang, Choa Chu Kang West, Tengah, Hong Kah, Corporation, Jurong West, Baha Junction, Boon Lay Gek Poh, Tawas.
- Stage 2 (2028): Tengah Plantation, Tengah Park, Bukit Batok West, Toh Guan, Jurong East, Jurong Town Hall, Pandan Reservoir.
- Stage 3 (2029): Enterprise, Tukang, Jurong Hill, Jurong Pier, Nanyang Gateway, Nanyang Crescent, Peng Kang Hill.
Cross Island Line (CRL)
Currently, under construction, it will be Singapore's longest fully underground line spanning over 50 km when completed. The line is expected to serve both existing and future developments in the eastern, western, and north-eastern corridors, connecting major hubs such as Jurong Lake District, Punggol Digital District, and Changi region.
The Cross Island Line will be constructed in three stages. Stage 2, which will include the Jurong Lake District station, is expected to commence operation in 2032.
Together with the Jurong Regional Line, this will greatly improve connectivity and accessibility, making it easier for people to get around the island and connect with major businesses and residential areas.
This will further enhance the living standards of J’Den residents, and at the same time, bolster the investment potential of the development.
Sheltered Walkway from the J’Den Condo to Integrated Transport Hub
J’Den condo will be linked by J-Walk, a sheltered elevated pedestrian network that connects to the Jurong East MRT Interchange and surrounding developments such as JEM, Westgate, IMM, Ng Teng Fong Hospital, and Jurong Community Hospital.
This will provide a more pleasant and comfortable walking experience while the wide passages provide enhanced accessibility, especially for those with mobility impairment.
Along J-Walk, there are signages to help pedestrians navigate to the different locations spread across Jurong Gateway.
Jurong East – A Shopping Paradise in the West Region
Jurong East offers a vibrant shopping, entertainment, and lifestyle option in the West Region.
With its plethora of shopping malls, many of which are a short walk from the J’Den condo, there is something for everyone. These range from luxury boutiques to budget-friendly outlets, including sports factory outlets.
Besides shopping, Jurong East also offers a diverse range of dining and entertainment options. As these shopping malls are conveniently linked to the Jurong East MRT station, it makes it easy for visitors to navigate around the area.
Below are three major shopping malls in Jurong East:
JEM: A trendy shopping mall that offers a unique shopping experience. With over 241 stores spread across six floors, JEM has something for everyone. The mall is home to international brands such as Uniqlo, H&M, Cotton On, and Muji, as well as local brands such as Charles & Keith and Pedro.
Westgate: Positioned as a premier family and lifestyle mall, it offers a holistic shopping experience with unique features such as The Courtyard, which is naturally ventilated, and a thematic children’s playground. It also offers a wide variety of cuisines, including alfresco dining options.
IMM: Home to over 100 outlet stores, it offers a diverse shopping experience. Besides designer fashion, footwear, luggage, children's apparel, and home furnishing, it is one of the most popular destinations for sports merchandise. Many famous brands such as Adidas, Puma, Asics, and Nike can be found in the sprawling mall.
With such vibrancy, residents of J’Den condo can look forward to an enthralling living experience.
Major Employment Hubs Near J’Den Condo
Residents of J’Den condo will benefit from convenient access to several employments.
Besides bringing employment opportunities, they will also benefit from new services and amenities being developed around them, which will improve the overall quality of life for residents.
Some of these employment hubs include:
International Business Park – Located at Jurong East, it is occupied by office buildings, data centres, and research and development facilities for a diverse range of companies. Some companies have set up their regional headquarters, innovation centres, and other operations in the business park due to the attractive amenities and modern infrastructure it offers.
Jurong Innovation District (JID) – A state-of-the-art advanced manufacturing hub, it is designed to promote collaboration between manufacturers, technology providers, researchers, and educational institutions. It is expected to create over 95,000 new jobs once fully developed.
Tuas Port - The mega port will consolidate all three of Singapore's city ports in one location - Keppel, Brani, and Pasir Panjang. Upon completion in 2040, it will be one of the world's largest fully automated ports and is expected to employ more than 170,000 people.
Sungei Kadut Eco-District – To be developed over the next 20-30 years, it will be home to various industries, including agri-food technology, waste management and recycling, metal, timber, and furniture. Future-ready and community-friendly, it will help to rejuvenate businesses and open doors to new growth sectors.
One-North – A research and business park that is focused on driving innovation and development in the fields of science, engineering, technology, and media. It is home to a variety of research institutions, startups, and multinational corporations, as well as educational institutions such as the National University of Singapore and INSEAD.
Woodlands Regional Centre – A major commercial and industrial hub in the north. It will be strategically linked to the Northern Agri-Tech and Food Corridor, integrating with the future Agri-Food Innovation Park and other synergistic elements such as farms, Republic Polytechnic and the Senoko Food Zone.
Schools and Educational Institutions Near J’Den Condo
There is an excellent choice of primary and secondary schools near J’Den condo, while the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is just 7 MRT stations when the Jurong Regional Line is completed in 2029.
For children registering for Primary 1 admission, there are a few located within 1-2 km of the J’Den condo. Hence, they will be given priority under the Ministry of Education’s distance-based allocation system.
In addition, the proximity to schools has a positive impact on property values, according to the NUS Institute of Real Estate Studies.
The following are primary and secondary schools near J’Den condo:
- Fuhua Primary School.
- Yuhua Primary School.
- Bukit View Primary School.
- Jurong Primary School.
- Prince Elizabeth Primary School.
- Boon Lay Secondary School.
- Crest Secondary School.
- Fuhua Secondary School.
- Hua Yi Secondary School.
- Jurong Secondary School.
- Jurongville Secondary School.
- Jurong West Secondary School.
- River Valley High School.
- Yuan Ching Secondary School.
- Yuhua Secondary School.
Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is located seven MRT stations from J'Den condo when the Jurong Regional Line (JRL) is completed in 2029.
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is a research-intensive university in Singapore. Established in 1991, it has quickly established itself as one of the top universities in Asia and the world.
According to the 2023 QS World University Rankings, it is ranked Number 19 in the World and Number 5 in Asia.
NTU offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs across various disciplines including engineering, business, science, humanities, arts, and social sciences. It has a diverse and vibrant student body of over 33,000 students from more than 100 countries, making it a truly global institution.
As J'Den condominium is situated at the heart of the Jurong Lake District, residents can look forward to a vibrant and convenient living experience.
The area boasts excellent infrastructure, with easy access to amenities such as healthcare facilities, shopping malls, and recreational areas like the Jurong Lake Gardens, which promote physical activity and well-being.
The presence of educational institutions nearby also reduces the commuting time for residents, allowing them to spend more quality time with their families. Additionally, the district's central location and efficient public transportation network make it easy for residents to access employment and business opportunities, thereby enhancing their overall quality of life.
But what is J'Den's investment prospect? To answer this question, let's examine how properties in Jurong Lake District have performed.
Average Property Price Trend In Jurong Lake District (D22)
In Chart 1 below, it shows that the average prices of non-landed private residential properties in District 22 (Lakeside, Jurong, Boon Lay) surged 114% between Q1 2008 to Q3 2013 immediately after the Jurong Lake District development plans were announced by the then Minister of National Development Mah Bow Tan in April 2008.
However, property prices declined rather significantly thereafter. This was in line with the overall property market after the government announced a slew of severe property cooling measures in January 2013 that included a hike in ABSD, tightening of LTV, and an increase in minimum cash downpayment.
This triggered a prolonged period of consolidation that lasted until early 2020 when Singapore was hit by the covid-19 pandemic. Defying an economic recession, property prices surged unexpectedly, fuelled by a supply crunch and delay in the completion of new homes. This saw non-landed private residential property prices rising 28.5% between Q1 2020 and Q4 2022.
Overall, the average prices of non-landed private residential properties in District 22 have performed very well. From Q1 2008 (when plans for JLD were announced) to Q4 2022, average prices have appreciated a notable 119%.
Comparison of Average Prices of Private Condominiums In Jurong
The comparative analysis of average prices of private condominiums in Jurong reveals some interesting trends.
In recent years, there has been a dearth of new property launches in District 22, with only three major launches in recent times - J Gateway (June 2013), Lakeville (April 2014), and Lake Grande (July 2016).
All three have chalked up healthy average price gains, as illustrated in Chart 2:
- J Gateway: +25.08%
- Lakeville: 14.31%
- Lake Grande: 17.07%
As can be seen, J Gateway is the best performing as it is located at Jurong Gateway, the commercial centre of the Jurong Lake District (JLD). With the J'Den condo's equally favourable location, it is expected to attract strong interest when launched.
Looking ahead, numerous developments in JLD have yet to be fully realized. These include the integrated tourism development, Jurong Innovation District, and Tuas Mega Port. Hence, it is not inconceivable that a property like the J'Den condo will reap the benefits of the Jurong Lake District's future growth prospects.
Furthermore, the Singapore government has plans to transform the JLD into its second Central Business District (CBD). This initiative is expected to stimulate new economic activities, generate additional employment opportunities, and increase demand for residential properties in the West Region.
Other Property Reviews
Besides J'Den condo, the following are some other property reviews that may also interest you:
- Skywaters Residences, a mixed-used development by Perennial Holdings at Shenton Way.
- TMW Maxwell, a mixed-use development by Chip Eng Seng, SingHaiyi, and Chuan Investments at Maxwell Road.
- Newport Residences, a mixed-use development by CDL at Anson Road.
- Marina View Residences, a 99-year mixed-use development by Boulevard View in District 1.
- Watten House, a freehold condominium in the exclusive District 11.
- The Reserve Residences, a mixed-use development by Far East Organisation and Sino Group.
- The Continuum, a freehold condominium by Hoi Hup and Sunway Developments at Thiam Siew Avenue.
- Grand Dunman, a condominium by SingHaiyi Group at Dunman Road.
- Blossoms By The Park, a mixed-used development by local developer EL Development.
- The Hill @ One-North, a mixed-use development by Kingsford Property Development at Slim Barracks Rise.
- The Arcady, a freehold condo near Boon Keng MRT station in District 12.
- Pinetree Hill, a condominium by UOL Group and Singapore Land.
- Tembusu Grand, a condominium by CDL and MCL Land at Jalan Tembusu.
- Terra Hill, a freehold condominium by Hoi Hup and Sunway Developments at Pasir Panjang.
- Sora, condominium development next to Jurong Lake Gardens in District 22.
- Lumina Grand, an EC by CDL at Bukit Batok West Avenue 5.
- The Arden, a 105-unit condominium by Qingjina Realty.
- Lentor Hills Residences, a condominium by Intrepid Investments, Guocoland, and TID Residential at Lentor Hills Road.
- Lakegarden Residences, a condominium by Wing Tai Holdings at Yuan Ching Road.
- Altura, an executive condominium by Qingjian Realty and Santarli Construction at Bukit Batok.
- The Myst, a condo development by CDL at Upper Bukit Timah Road.
- Hillock Green, a condominium in District 26 at Lentor.
- Hillhaven, a 99-year condominium in District 23 at Hillview Rise,
- Lentoria, a condo development by TID near Lentor MRT.
- Botany At Dairy Farm, a condominium by Sim Lian Group at Dair Farm Walk.
For more details on new launches, you can find them in project information.