Newport Residences Preview: April / May 2023 (tentative)
This is a review of Newport Residences, an upcoming freehold mixed-use development located at 80 Anson Road in Singapore’s prime District 2 next to the Greater Southern Waterfront. Within walking distance of the Price Edward (Circle Line) and Tanjong Pagar (East-West Line) MRT stations, there will be three components to the development – Newport Residences (residential), Newport Plaza (retail), and Newport Tower (commercial).
To be developed by City Developments Limited under the CBD incentive scheme, the freehold Newport Residences will offer a rare investment opportunity amid the exciting transformation of the Greater Southern Waterfront. It will also offer unblocked views of the Singapore’s southern coast.
Newport Residences will also benefit from the CBD incentive scheme that was rolled out by the government in 2019 to encourage developers to convert their existing office buildings into mixed-use developments. The aim is to rejuvenate and bring more vibrancy to the CBD and areas around its fringes.
Newport Residences will be redeveloped from the site of the former Fuji-Xerox Towers. It will comprise a 45-storey development with 246 residential units consisting of 1- to 4-Bedrooms and a Super Penthouse, as well as Grade A offices, and serviced apartments.
This review will seek to offer an unbiased evaluation of the following to help you make an informed decision on whether this is the right property to invest in.
- Locational attributes
- Design features (to be updated)
- Investment potential
Nevertheless, please WhatsApp or Email Me if you wish to:
- Receive the latest updates about the development.
- Visit the showflat for a better understanding of the development.
- Gain a deeper insight into its investment potential and get an update on Singapore’s property market.
To navigate directly to each sections of this review, please click on the links in the Table of Contents below:
- Newport Residences Unique Selling Points
- Newport Residences Condo Factsheet
- The Reserve Residences Unit Mix
- Educational Institutions Near Newport Residences
- Proximity to Singapore’s Historical, Civic, and Art Districts
- The Rail Corridor
- The Sentosa-Brani Master Plan
- Exciting Transformation of the Greater Southern Waterfront
- URA Downtown Master Plan
- Review Conclusion - An Investment Perspective
- Other Upcoming Property Launches
Newport Residences Unique Selling Points
- A rare freehold development located within the prime Central Business District (CBD).
- Designed by renowned Japanese architecture firm Nikken Sekkei Ltd.
- Enjoys spectacular views of the city and sea.
- Features 4 lifestyle gardens (Level 25, 29, 37 & 41) and 2 levels of facilities.
- Excellent transport network – short walk to Prince Edward and Tanjong Pagar MRT stations, as well as many public buses.
- Short drive to four major expressways – Marina Coastal Expressway (MCE), Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE), East Coast Parkway (ECP), and Central Expressway (CTE).
- Convenient access to amenities – shopping malls, supermarkets, eateries, schools, and medical facilities.
- Proximity to Singapore’s Historical, Civic, and Art Districts.
- Near Sentosa and upcoming Downtown South, Singapore’s premier recreational destinations.
- Good investment potential amid the exciting URA master plan to transform Downtown Singapore and the Greater Southern Waterfront.
Newport Residences Condo Factsheet
|Name of Development||Newport Residences (铂海峰)|
|Developer||City Developments Ltd|
|Type of Development||1 Tower Of 45-storey Mixed Development Comprising Service Apartment, Residential Apartments And 9-storey Podium Commercial/Office With Basement Carparks And Communal Facilities|
|Address||80 Anson Road, Singapore 079907|
|Site Area||5,451.5 sq m (58,679.45 sq ft)|
|Space Distribution||Residential: 35%
Serviced Apartments: 25%
|No. of Units||Residential: 246 (Level 23 to 45), Service Apartment: 197|
|Unit Mix||1,2,3,4 Bedrooms & Super Penthouse (~13,000sq ft)|
|Design Architect||Nikken Sikkei Ltd|
|Project Architect||ADDP Architects|
|Landscape Architect||ECOPLAN Asia Pte Ltd|
The Reserve Residences Unit Mix
|Unit Types||Est. Area (sq ft)||No. of Units|
|1-Bedroom||431 - 495||86|
|1-Bedroom + Study||581||22|
|2-Bedroom||646 - 753||24|
|2-Bedroom Premium||689 - 710||30|
|2-Bedroom Premium + Ensuite Study / Study||818 - 926||33|
|3-Bedroom Premium + Study||1,227||10|
(inludes dedicated lift and 2 generously sized private car park lots)
|Total Number of Units||246|
Major Shopping Malls Near Newport Residences
Besides the above, many major shopping malls are just a short train or bus ride away. These include Raffles City, Plaza Singapura, Bugis Junction, Chinatown Point, and VivoCity, to name a few.
Orchard Road, Singapore’s premier tourist and shopping belt, is just 4 MRT station from Newport Residences.
There are several food havens near Newport Residences and they include the following:
Duxton Hill – About 500m away, it is a very popular night spot in Singapore due to its abundance of restaurants, pubs, and cafes. With its unique mix of cultures and stunning views of the city skyline, the area is also known for its trendy bars and wide variety of cuisines.
Additionally, Duxton Hill is home to some of Singapore's most iconic landmarks, such as the conserved Jinrikisha Station.
Maxwell Food Centre - A popular food place visited by many locals and tourists alike, it is home to famous food stalls such as Tian Tian Hainanese Chicken Rice, Xing Xing Ondeh-Ondeh and Tapioca Cake, China Street Fritters, and Hoe Kee Pau.
Back in 2013 during the Singtel’s Hawker Heroes Challenge, it was visited by international celebrity chef Gordon Ramsey where he learned how to cook chicken rice - one of the dishes in the cook-off competition.
Lau Pat Sat – Lau Pat Sat is home to a variety of food stalls, ranging from local favourites to modern fusion cuisine. Besides its affordable food offerings, it is also a great place to explore and indulge in the unique culture of Singapore, especially its satay street.
Other Food Havens - Other than the above, more eateries and restaurants can be found along Amoy Street, Telok Ayer Street, and Stanley Street nearby, as well as Chinatown. At these places, you can find many Singaporean food like chicken rice, Lor Mee and Nasi Padang to upscale restaurants serving international cuisines.
More bars and pubs can also be found along the rows of conserved shophouses that lined the narrow streets.
Medical & Dental Services
A wide range of medical or dental services are available around Newport Residences. Below is just a small sample of them:
- Shenton Medical Group
- Fullerton Healthcare
- Healthway Medical
- NTUC Health Denticare
- Q&M Shenton Way
Meanwhile, the SGH Campus and Raffles Hospital are located just one and three train stops away, respectively.
Educational Institutions Near Newport Residences
Newport Residences enjoys convenient access to many educational institutions.
The nearest is Cantonment Primary School just 7 minutes’ walk from the development. However, many others can be easily reached via MRT and they are located merely 2-8 stations from the development. These include the following:
- Stamford Primary School
- ZhangDe Primary School
- Gan Eng Seng Primary School
- Fairfield Methodist School (Primary)
- Gan Eng Seng Secondary School
- School of the Arts (SOTA)
- Fairfield Methodist School (Secondary)
- School of Science and Technology
Post-Secondary & Tertiary Institutions
- Anglo-Chinese Junior College
- Anglo-Chinese School (Independent)
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School
- Singapore Management University City Campus
- National University of Singapore (NUS)
There are a number of international schools that can be easily reached from Newport Residences via public transportation.
This will appeal to those looking for investment due to the large catchment of expatriates working in the Central Business District (CBD) who may require accommodation. Some of these international schools include the following:
- International Baccalaureate Organization
- Shelton College International
- Ascensia International School
- North London Collegiate School
- ISS International School
- Tanglin Trust
- Dover Court International School
- United College of Southeast Asia Dover Campus
Proximity to Singapore’s Historical, Civic, and Art Districts
One fascinating aspect of living in Newport Residences is its proximity to Singapore’s historical, civic, and art districts.
This is because they allow residents to be immersed in the cultural and historical heritage of Singapore. Featuring landmarks, monuments, and museums that showcase Singapore's past and present, in addition to the vibrant arts scene, they provide an enriching living experience unmatched in most parts of Singapore.
The Rail Corridor
Newport Residences is just 8 minutes’ walk from the former Tanjong Pagar Railway Station, the southern tip of the Rail Corridor.
The Rail Corridor is a 24-kilometre stretch of land that runs from Tanjong Pagar in the south to Woodlands in the north. It was previously used as a railway line connecting Singapore to Malaysia but has been decommissioned.
Stretches of the Rail Corridor will and converted into green spaces for the public, while the surrounding land will be rejuvenated with new commercial, cultural, and leisure developments.
As for the former Tanjong Pagar Railway station, it will be conserved and turned into a multi-functional community space that will include an auditorium and art gallery. This will include a new public park named Station Green, which will be integrated with the upcoming Cantonment MRT station along the Circle Line.
The Sentosa-Brani Master Plan
Sentosa is Singapore’s premier destination for resorts and theme parks located just 3 MRT stations from Newport Residences when the full Circle Line is completed. First developed in 1970, it is undergoing a revamp to transform it into a “game-changing leisure and tourism destination”.
Under the Sentosa-Brani master plan announced in 2019 as part of the transformation of the Greater Southern Waterfront, it aims to create a more vibrant and modern destination for tourists and locals alike.
Such an exciting development will have a positive impact on property values near it, such as Newport Residences.
Three projects are expected to be completed in Sentosa this year:
Raffles Sentosa Resort & Spa – It will feature villas with private swimming pools.
SensoryScape – A multi-sensory walkway that will stimulate the five senses – such as textured surfaces and plants that respond to touch, a water feature with the sound of cascading water, and visually striking giant flower stalks.
Palawan Sands – An entertainment precinct offering facilities such as an electric go-kart circuit, a mini-golf course and two beach clubs.
Meanwhile, Pulau Brani, a container port located next to Sentosa will be renamed Downtown South. It will offer new attractions similar to Universal Studios.
Exciting Transformation of the Greater Southern Waterfront
The Greater Southern Waterfront (GSW) comprises 30km of coastline stretching from the Gardens by the Bay East to Pasir Panjang and West Coast Park. With 2,000ha of land, it is six times the size of Marina Bay and twice the size of Punggol housing estate.
The transformation of GSW is expected to have a positive impact on property values in the area. Envisaged as a major gateway, new housing projects and offices will be developed. They will be complemented by various leisure attractions and nature parks, creating a vibrant live-work-play environment that offers numerous investment opportunities.
This will benefit residents of Newport Residences as it is located at the doorstep of GSW.
URA Downtown Master Plan
Under the URA master plan for Downtown Singapore, it seeks to create a vibrant and sustainable urban centre. It will focus on four main areas:
Enhancing connectivity and accessibility - Besides expanding the existing MRT network, better pedestrian and bicycle infrastructure will also be built.
Diverse housing options with supporting developments – These will include public, private, and mixed-use options, supported by new retail, dining, and entertainment developments.
Promoting a green and liveable environment - More green spaces will be set aside while improving the quality of existing parks and open spaces.
Building a strong sense of identity and community – This is done by promoting the unique history and culture of the downtown area, as well as to support the growth of local arts and culture. Additionally, new public spaces and plazas will provide more opportunities for social interaction and community engagement.
Review Conclusion - An Investment Perspective
To recap, Newport Residences can offer an excellent investment opportunity for the following reasons:
- A rare freehold development in the Central Business District (CBD)
- Highly favourable location
- Rejuvenation of the precinct under the URA Downtown master plan and CBD Incentive Scheme
- At the doorstep of the transformation of the Greater Southern Waterfront
- Excellent transportation network
- Proximity to a schools, amenities, and attractions
- Good catchment of existing tenants for those looking for investment
How have Properties Performed in District 2?
In terms of location, convenience, and the many exciting developments taking place within and around District 2, the investment potential for Newport Residences is undoubtedly promising, especially for a rare freehold development.
But how have properties in District 2 performed? Let's look at several 99-year leasehold developments in Chart 1 below.
Rather surprising, the results were mixed as far a capital appreciation is concerned. As can be seen from the chart, Icon and The Sail @ Marina Bay have performed well since their launch in May 2003 and October 2004 respectively, chalking up the following average price gains:
- Icon: +159.28%
- The Sails @ Marina Bay: +95.72%
These two developments were built after former Minister of National Development Lim Hng Kiang’s speech in 1997 on the development of a new Downtown in Marina Bay. This created quite a buzz amongst property investors then.
However, subsequent housing developments such as Lumiere, Altez, Wallich Residence, and Marina One Residences, launched in December 2006, February 2010, December 2013, and October 2014 respectively, have performed rather lacklustrely.
- Lumiere: +8.01%
- Altez: +1.67%
- Wallich Residence: +27.92%
- Marina One Residences: 1.60%
This can be attributed to competition from a slew of new developments following the launch of Icon and Sail @ Marina Bay, among other factors, which have negatively affected their growth potential.
Similarly, One Bernam located across Newport Residences, which was launched in May 2021, has only moved 42% of their total units thus far. But with prices starting from $2,507 psf, it offers quite an attractive option compared to recent new launches in OCR such as Amo Residence, Lentor Modern, and Sky Eden that are already selling above $2,100 psf on average.
As far as Newport Residences is concerned, competition from existing and upcoming developments (more on this below) could also affect its investment potential. However, the rejuvenation of the precinct and transformation of the Greater Southern Waterfront should improve the outlook for District 2, which will help to prop up property values in time to come.
Moreover, it's freehold status may appeal to property investors as most of the developments around it are 99-year leasehold.
Next, let’s examine rental returns. As can be seen in Chart 2, District 2 outperformed the other prime districts. A comparison between District 1, 2, 9, 10, & 11 has shown the following:
- District 1 (Raffles Place, Marina Bay) - $6.69 psf
- District 2 (Tanjong Pagar, Shenton Way) - $6.87 psf
- District 9 (Orchard, Grange Road) - $5.79 psf
- District 10 (Bukit Timah, Holland) - $5.06 psf
- District 11 (Novena, Thomson) - $4.92 psf
Also, over the last 20-year period, District 1 appreciated the most - +215.35%. This is followed by District 2 (+187.42%), District 11 (+154.48%), District 9 (+127.35%), and District 10 (+89.85%).
Meanwhile, the following table shows the rental yields of the above-mentioned developments. They compared very favourably to those in District 9 for example, where most are hovering in the 2.0-2.5% region.
|Icon||Sail @ Marina Bay||Lumiere||Altez||Wallich Residencee||Marina One Residences|
Upcoming Mixed-Use Developments Near Newport Residences
Besides Newport Residences, the following are upcoming mixed-use developments coming up nearby in District 1 & 2:
- TMW Maxwell (former Maxwell House) ~ 324 units
- Former Realty Centre (located at Enggor Street and next to One Bernam) ~ 100 units
- Skywaters Residences ~ 215 units
- Marina View ~ 905 units
- Marina Gardens Lane ~ 790 units
- Marina Gardens Crescent ~ 775 units
TMW Maxwell, Realty Centre, and 8 Shenton Way are redevelopment sites, while the others are sold under the government land sale (GLS) programme.
The Marina View site, located beside the Singapore Conference Hall, was awarded to Boulevard View, an entity linked to IOI Properties Group, in September 2021.
Meanwhile, the Marina Gardens Lane site has been launched for tender in December 2022. This will be followed by the Marina Gardens Crescent site in June this year.
Both sites are located near Gardens By the Bay, which will spearhead the transformation of the Marina South precinct that is currently undeveloped.
For the latest updates on Newport Residences and the other upcoming development, please WhatsApp Me.
Other Upcoming Property Launches
Besides Newport Residences, below are other property reviews that may interest you:
- The Continuum, a freehold condo near Paya Lebar and Dakota MRT stations in District 15
- Tembusu Grand, a 99-year leasehold condo near the upcoming Tanjong Katong MRT station in District 15
- Grand Dunman, a mega 99-year leasehold condo development beside Dakota MRT station
- Blossoms By The Park, a 99-year leasehold mixed-use development located between Buona Vista and One-North MRT stations
- The Hill @ One-North, a 99-year leasehold mixed-use development in District 5 near Buona Vista and One-North MRT stations
- Hill house, a 999-year leasehold condo located off River Valley Road in prime District 9.
- Perfect Ten, a luxurious District 10 condo development near Newton and Stevens MRT stations.
- The Arden, a 99-year leasehold condo at Phoenix Road in the Bukit Panjang housing estate.
- Botany At Dairy Farm, a 99-year leasehold condominium located near Hillview MRT station.
- Lentor Hills Residences, a 99-year leasehold condominium near Lentor MRT station.
- The Reserve Residences, a 99-year leasehold integrated development in Beauty World.
- LakeGarden Residences, a 99-year leasehold condo next to Jurong Lake Gardens.
For more details on new launches, you can find them in project information.